Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Hanky Quilt


I finished my hanky quilt in time to enter it into the Cache County Fair last summer.  I thought it was about time I shared the photos of it here.





My mother-in-law gave me the book "Quilt Style" by Tammy Tadd for Christmas a few years ago.  I flipped straight to the page with the Hanky Panky pattern and knew right away that I NEEDED to make that quilt.  I was a woman on a mission.  Every time I visited an antique store I looked for vintage hankies.  I also hit my grandma up for a bunch of pretty handkerchiefs.  After months of collecting, I had a gorgeous pile of hankies but I couldn't bring myself to cut them up.  I found a seller on Ebay who had a whole stack of vintage reproduction hankies for a reasonable price.  If I recall correctly the auction I won was for a lot of 25 hankies and the pattern only calls for 16.  I then had the difficult chore of choosing just 16 lovelies and arranging them in a way that felt good to me.  I'm sure I am not the only one who does this but I had to try about 186 different hanky combinations before I finally settled on something.  Also, the pattern called for white fabric to line the backs of the hankies.  The pattern showed the edges of the hankies being sewn into the seam which was silly to me.  If you have a beautiful scalloped edge, it would be a shame to cram that into the seam.  I just cut the four quarters of the hankies a half and inch smaller than the lining.  When it came time to choose a quilting design I knew I needed something that would hold the hanky down but still leave the scalloped edge free.  It took me about an hour and a half to decide on a quilting design, but I think it was well worth the time - I LOVE it!  After I got done binding the quilt I felt like it wasn't exactly finished.  The lady who quilted it for me suggested I add a little pearl to each square.  I am so glad I did, it was the perfect finishing touch!


I love the way this quilt turned out and have it hanging in my room where I can see it everyday!  Are any of you obsessive collectors?  What are you hoarding away for a future project?

27 comments:

  1. Your quilt is lovely! What a creative idea for using vintage hankies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful. Wow! I would love to make one. Where did you get all your hankies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them on eBay. You can find vintage and reproduction hankies there!
      Leigh

      Delete
  3. Absolutely beautiful! Fantastic idea--thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I love the dark pink/tourquiose hankies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But wait you didn't tell us about the ribbon.....is that your blue ribbon hanging on the quilt?
    It is just lovely, what a nice layout of the hankies.

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my blue ribbon, thanks for noticing! I was pretty stoked about that!
      Leigh

      Delete
  6. Amazing job! I love vintage hankies! I would love it if you would share with us at the Eco Kids Link up: http://organicaspirations.blogspot.com/2013/01/thrifting-dolhouse-and-eco-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, I linked up! Great dollhouse by the way!
      Leigh

      Delete
  7. This is really a beautiful quilt and congrats on the ribbon!! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I made one years ago, but the hankies were formed into butterflies. I like it, but I think I like your quilt better.

    Visiting from Someday Crafts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a photo of a hankie quilt formed into little butterflies on google images. Maybe it was yours!
      Leigh

      Delete
  9. Beautiful quilt! A friend was just asking me how she should use a bunch of vintage hankies, so this is perfect. I'll have to show her. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely quilt and great repurposing project. I'm passing this on to my mom who has tons of handkerchiefs and is a quilter too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I collect old handkerchiefs and this quilt is breathtaking!!! Such a sweet spirit you have to have made something so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! You should use your hankies for something special.
      Leigh

      Delete
  12. Your quilt is so beautifully done, I sure agree about the pretty scalloped edges of the hankies. I have several hankies that were my Mother's and I've collected them and kept them for years. I used to buy them when we lived in Ky at antique sales. Don't see them much now here in western CO.
    I did see some pretty ones at Family $ the other night if I needed to add to my collection.
    I've seen hankies framed but your quilt is still the very best I've seen. You're sure a beautiful quilter.
    I have a quilting frame that was my Mother's also but haven't ever used it. It's been hauled all over the country with us when we've moved, can't seem to let it go. One of my uncles made it for my Mom many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, you're so sweet! I would hold onto those quilting frames too, what a treasure.
      Leigh

      Delete
  13. Beautiful quilts! Thanks for sharing with us at Eco-Kids! I hope you will come link up with us again this week!! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/02/an-enchanted-childhood-playschool.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is absolutely beautiful. What a great way to preserve vintage hankies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! These look really cool! Absolutely wonderful to protect vintage hankies! I can’t wait to try my hands on this and see what I can make out of what I have learned from you. Thanks! Gracechurch Property

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt is stunning, for more hankie decorating ideas & DIY ideas check out my page here: http://www.nanaluluslinensandhandkerchiefs.com/Articles.asp?ID=257

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a great need for us to find out more mobile and click on my site www.mobileprice24.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just what I was looking for. Just won an auction of vintage reproduction hankies (tons) and your quilt looks perfect to use a bunch of them. Will try to have a few made by time for our family reunion this year and put them in as my white elephant contributions. Thanks for a wonderful idea! C. Hays

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore your quilt! I acquired a bunch of hankies at an auction. I'm very new to sewing so I have a question on your quilt. Did you cut the hankies in quarters to make a block?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I cut all the hankies in quarters and then added the pink and green strips in the middle.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...